Sunday, July 12, 2009

Benjamin Brown - Out OfTthe Ashes And Into A Home


Benjamin Brown was one of the "MO 75" GSPs, rescued from a kennel fire in MO. He was a sweet boy, a little shy and reserved, but with the love and care of his foster mom, he came around and has now settled into a new life with his new family. The story of the MO 75 can be found here: http://web.me.com/msalyers/GSP_Rescue/Home.htm

Here's a note from his new mom:

-------------
Just wanted to give you an update on Benjamin. He is doing really well and I see him make new strides every day. I’ve also seen a rejuvenation in Beau since Ben came on the scene. Beau had not really wanted to play fetch since Jake passed away. But since Ben has been at the house, he is all over it. We’ve played fetch just about every evening and Ben would just sit in the corner pretty timid the first couple of nights, but on Tuesday he began playing with us. At first, he would just run down the deck and stand there. But we threw the ball to him and he actually caught the ball in his mouth. He wasn’t quite sure what to do with it so he ran into the yard and laid down and wouldn’t give it back. Beau was not too happy, but we were just pleased that he wanted to participate. I also bought the dogs stuffed animals to play with because Jake and Beau loved them. Ben wanted nothing to do with his so I just left it on the stairs for him to get at his leisure. On Wednesday he actually got it off the steps and took it to his bed. That caused Beau to try and get it and they began playing tug of war. Since that evening they wrestle/play each morning and evening.

His manners have substantially improved in the eating arena. He has a tall food bowl in a stand that doesn’t allow for him to knock it over. Up until yesterday he would wolf down his food and then head to Beau’s food bowl to eat push him away and eat his food. We would not allow him to do that. So, I would just stop him and start petting him. Yesterday he finished his food and came over and stood by me and didn’t even act like he was going to do that.

He is still skittish and it doesn’t always seem to be the same thing that sets him off. 98% of the time when he runs, I call him back over to me and he will come. Last night I was measuring with a metal tape measure and it snapped and he ran and hid. He would not come to me for about 30 minutes. He would go to Henry, but not me, even after I put the tape measure down. I don’t know if it was the sound or what. I feel bad for him when that happens. The good news is that he comes to us way more than he runs from us.
But we all feel that he is a great addition to our household and I wouldn’t trade him for the world. He is trying to get adjusted to our 105 degree heat, but they have pools and shade to get into. My dad is going over to let them in early today. I think that it is way too hot for them to be outside.

Ben has done a lot of cute things, but I never have my camera around when he is being the most animated. I’ve taken pictures of him doing different things. I will try to remember to bring it to work next week so that you can see his new home.

No comments: