Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Military Transfer to Germany Will Leave Two AMAZING GSPs Homeless...Please spread the word...Share


Below is a note received from a loving GSP owner. She rescued her two GSPs, as she believed she would remain in the US until retirement. She has received orders to be stationed in Germany, and feels apartment living (and transport to Germany) would be too stressful for her beloved GSPs. Information on them is below. If anyone can assist, please contact Michelle - msalyers@gsprescuene.org

The dogs are located in New Mexico, but we have transported GSPs from KS to Vancouver, BC, Arizona to New England, and beyond....so transport or location of the adopter should not be the primary concern. ANYTHING is possible!

Rescuers - PLEASE CROSS-POST (And please consider posting these dogs on your respective Petfinder sites...I can provide you with additional photos and a brief write-up if you would like). Pre-screened homes would be appreciated, but I will gladly do the legwork if you receive qualified inquiries.

Note from the owner...

I received orders last week for a PCS to Germany for 3 years and must depart in July—

The two German Shorthaired Pointers I rescued 2 ½ years ago are amazing and sweet dogs but are not going to be able to adjust to living in an apartment and my female will not be able to be crated for the airplane trip regardless.

With such short notice I am very worried about finding a suitable home for them. The GSP rescue I adopted them from is unable to re-place them due to being at full capacity. I have contacted 4 other GSP rescues and I fear they are in similar situations---that they are all at capacity or worse.

They are wonderful dogs and I am hoping you can help me find them new homes. 3 years is a long time and I realize that it is probably for their best interest as well as the other family’s best interest to make a permanent situation for them. When I adopted them my functional was certain that I was headed to Texas after this and then a slight shift to a new base to finish my time and retire. It seemed to be the perfect opportunity to finally adopt dogs into my home. Now I get short notice that the future is very different than anticipated and it is not conducive to my pointers.

Odin is approximately 3 or 4 years old and is a very playful (neutered) male. He likes to play with rope knotted balls and squeaky toys (hardier ones since he will destroy a stuffed animal squeaky). He prances as though he is in show and points although I do not hunt so I have no idea what he would do if given some training and allowed to “bird.” He likes to cuddle with you in the evening on the couch if allowed, but sleeps on his own dog bed at bedtime. He is very intelligent and likes his “job”—he patrols the yard and through the house and likes to “protect” by standing close to you.

Freya is a 6 or 7 year old spayed female who is a very sweet girl and I frequently call her Princess. She just wants to be nearby and after she feels assured you are going to “stay put” in a room she curls up on the floor and just watches you. She doesn’t play much but occasionally will pick up a squeaky toy and run around the yard tossing her head and squeaking the toy. When I first brought her home she escaped, climbed the fence and even would “muscle” through a radio-electric fence. Over time I tried many things and finally realized that all she was trying to do was get back into the house. (I had them outside in the yard while I was at work and when she escaped she usually just stood at the front door.) I installed a dog door and turned off the radio fence within a week. She has been perfectly happy being able to come and go between the house and yard and is a happy and well adjusted girl who also sleeps on her own bed although would jump at the chance to curl up on the foot of my bed.

They are both wonderful companions and I walk, hike and run with them. A daily walk (even if only 15 minutes) keeps them content and they are very good on the leash--I walk them on a split lead and they stay right at my side. They have been around cats and are interested but not aggressive. If there are other dogs—they do best if it is a female but overall are best as a pair of dogs rather than part of a larger pack. They are sweet and energetic without being difficult and are friendly to adults as well as children.

If there is anything you can do to assist me in finding a placement for a new home I would appreciate any help—referrals, suggestions or solutions would be welcomed. I have so much to do in so little time.

With a heavy and hopeful heart,

(Please contact Michelle Salyers, GSP Rescue msalyers@gsprescuene.org and please CROSS-POST)

Kat

No comments: